What am I doing?

Inner peace feels like cherries in spring and the leaves in August. It's like scratching an itch. Like finding a perfect puddle of water.

20080513

Make that leap

I've had a couple of confusing days lately.

I can't describe this too well (it's a little early), but I'll try my best. I've noticed a subtle difference between my friends that can only be described as 'passive' and 'active' friendship. There are those who see me at parties, talk to me on occasion, have a few interests in common, but are perfectly satisfied to ignore me when it's convenient. We all have a bunch of these friends, the kind of people we have on MSN and never talk to, and the people that rarely take the initiative to hang out with you. I'm not saying these people are bad friends - I love hanging out with certain people that just never seem to contact me outside mutual events, and I'm sure I'm the same kind of friend to a lot of people.

On the other hand, we have our active friends who constantly keep us in mind and show that in their actions. It's the kind of person that says, "Why not now?" when I say, "We should hang out sometime." I still get messages from my friends asking me to go on food runs, or walks, or just hang out, without any prompting. It's a clear distinction between the people who are just 'friends' and the ones who take that extra effort to become 'family'. The people who I can live without, and the people who I can't live without. The people who walk in when everyone else walks out.

There's a difference. A big difference. I don't need people who walk in front of me - I may not follow. I don't need people who walk behind me - I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

No comments: