What am I doing?

Inner peace feels like cherries in spring and the leaves in August. It's like scratching an itch. Like finding a perfect puddle of water.

20080614

Reaching Out

Problem.

I'm slowly getting really sick of the 'politics' of friendship. There's just so much backstabbing and hurt going around, and it's making me twitch. I spent 3 hours the other day talking to a friend who is slowly giving up on life, because her friends decided to drop her like a bad egg. I don't like seeing my friends hurt.

Observation: popularity has its cons. A lot of people I know are popular, whether they know it or not. They don't need to find friends - friends come to them. The phone rings every day for these people, inviting them out to lunch, or to the bar, etc etc. That's not a bad thing, it's good to have friends, and I'm not arguing that. No, it's when these people lose track of themselves that it starts to bother me immensely.

Yay POPULAR!

Being popular results in a lot of attention. You can be attractive, or rich, or cool, or just plain friendly. People will flock to you like flies to honey. Sooner or later, someone will call and invite you out. Everyone clamors for your attention, to have some time to spend with you. Basically, you don't need to try to find friends, because they come to you. With all the events flying at you, you tend to forget people. It's just a fact I've noticed.

I've been slowly rising up the social ladder recently. With my new Plumbline position, I've had a number of strangers call my name across the room, and I'm always pleasantly surprised. Being a Red, I've met a lot of people too, and I'm slowly becoming 'popular'. It's scary but I'm kind of liking it. People know who I am, which is pretty cool.

But I've been at the bottom of the pile. I remember being in high school, waiting for weeks, without ever going out. Sitting alone during lunch. Spending nights alone in a cold backyard, wishing someone would call and say, "Hey, let's hang out." But not until the end did I ever find friends. No, I wasn't popular at all. I was a loser. A nerd, geek, freak. No one ever called me, and I was too scared to reach out.

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY

I'm determined not to lose track of who I am, no matter how high I rise. When I go out, I'll skim through my contact list and run by all the cool kids. I'll pick people who are like me, alone and in the dark, waiting for that call to brighten their week. To make an effort to contact those that really would value friendship. I won't lose sight of everyone else - I promise.

So sue me. I'm an idiot. But I'll be an idiot with friends.

People like this should not be allowed in public.

Edit: Big thanks to those other retards that brought me up out of my misery. You know who you are. FOOD RUN!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

To the author of this blog,I appreciate your effort in this topic.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Im Inspired again.

The Ageless Fool said...

Hey cool! Thanks a lot. I do get a lot of weird moments in my random life. Keep reading :)

eya said...

Dude, you better come to my birthday event when I make one!!

Mica said...

May I point out you look A LOT like "Son M." in that last picture? wow.