What am I doing?

Inner peace feels like cherries in spring and the leaves in August. It's like scratching an itch. Like finding a perfect puddle of water.

20080717

I'm Awesome

I recently posted a note on Facebook asking people to tell me what my flaws are. It stems from a recent discussion with my mom, where she told me I'm egotistical. My mom is usually right, so I decided to ask my friends for confirmation.

It seems I have a problem with self-loathing. Most people think I'm being way too negative about myself, way too emo, and that I rag on myself way too much. My mom seems to think that I'm doing it to get attention, which may be true. I never realized it myself, but I do put myself down a shit lots, and maybe it is to get attention. I don't do it on purpose, it's just unconcious, but I'll make an effort to change.

So here. I'm awesome. I play guitar like a true musician should. I can write poetry that makes people laugh and cry, and it's been published. I'm in engineering, a notoriously hard program, and I'm doing well to boot. I'm physically fit, lean, and I have abs. I've taken taekwondo for over 12 years and I could kick your ass into the ground. I'm entertaining, hilarious, and manage a humour newspaper distributed to hundreds of readers. I've got plenty of life experience on the streets and at home, and on top of that I've travelled almost everywhere I've wanted to go. I don't spend on useless things and I'm secure with my money. I can understand other people because I have a high sense of empathy. I'm better at talking to girls than most guys because I've lived in a house full of them. People feel comfortable with me within minutes of meeting me. I'd be what people consider a 'nice guy' that you'd feel okay taking to meet your parents. I'm neat and organized, and clean on top of that. I can cook and do my own laundry and I don't need to rely on anyone to get by. I listen to almost every genre of music, favouring independant bands the most. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs. I go to church nearly every Sunday, as often as I can. I can hold a conversation with almost anyone, and I don't have any enemies. I treat my friends with the highest respect and loyalty. I say profound things on a constant basis, and I've been told I'm wise beyond my years. I've been through terrible experiences and survived and become even better. I'm good at video games and most sports. When I do drink, I have a high alcohol tolerance bordering 8 pints of beer. I'm always willing to help out or listen, and I'm one of the most trustworthy people you'll meet. I can keep a secret forever. I can present a neutral view of a situation, and I can fix most problems within my social circle. I'm in the loop when it comes to popular culture and internet memes, and I can tell really good jokes. I drink my requisite 8 glasses of water a day.

So yeah, that makes up for all the self-hate.

2 comments:

Matts Effect said...

Some people derive a certain kind of satisfaction from finding negative traits to themselves to fuel the 'self loathing' it's kind of twisted, but it makes sense to everybody who's experienced it. You just have to learn how to switch the attitude.

Anonymous said...

See? You are amazing!

Also - dont worry, my mom always thought it was my fault i had no friends and that i was upset about it for attention. moms are like that i guesss... I think mine never knew what it was like to be unpopular.