What am I doing?

Inner peace feels like cherries in spring and the leaves in August. It's like scratching an itch. Like finding a perfect puddle of water.

20090429

Memories of the Dead

I hate it when people I care about immensely hurt themselves. I hate it more when they do it for stupid reasons. I hate it even more when they lie to me about it. I hate it the most when I tell them how I feel and they do it anyways.

I've lost a lot of people to smoking. I never got the chance to say goodbye before they were taken away. I've forgotten how their voice sounded, how their skin felt like. I will never endorse or feel comfortable with smoking and smokers.

People can do what they want to themselves. I can't stop them, because I can't force anyone if they're only hurting themselves - they have every right to do that. But what they don't see is that it hurts me more than anything else. And I've lost too much.

The only option I want to take is escape. I can't stress myself out, or care too much. I have to let go, and in the process, abandon friends. But if that's what it takes, I'll do it willingly, because the memories of the dead are more important to me than the whims of the living.

My housemates smoke. But not regularly. In fact, I think I would understand it more if it were regular, or an addiction, because then at least they'd have an excuse. But they only smoke on random outings and occasions, like it's some sort of celebratory suicide. I don't understand, and I will never understand. And in all honesty, I no longer care, because they both know my story and still choose cigarettes over my friendship. So until they earn that respect back, I don't owe them anything.

And they're not sorry. I'm a study of human nature, and I don't have an 'idealized' view of the world. They'll apologize, as a short-term fix, to avoid tension - everybody does the same. We all say things to avoid conflict, but never take the time or effort to make amends. As they say, 'Sorry isn't enough'. You need to actively fix what you did and make things right to make it mean something. And they're not sorry, because they'll do it again. Except next time, they'll do it behind my back so I can't see. Does that make it any better?

So what can I do? They did it knowing it would upset me - not just once but multiple times. So they've picked a cigarette over me, they've decided to satisfy their own pleasures disregarding the fact that it would upset me, and was it worth it? That cigarette better have been worth more than my friendship, because that's what it cost.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

=(
Hey. It's not necessarily smoking over you. People never really feel the full effects of their actions until they actually happen... also they might be victims to the larger issue of being addicted... which isn't really a choice sometimes. Some people have addictive personalities.
*hugs* Feel better, man.

Oort said...

Dude, I understand where you're coming from but just because someone chooses to smoke doesn't mean they're "choosing smoking over you". Some people smoke casually because its enjoyable, they like the taste, its relaxing etc. You've lost people to smoking, and that's terrible, and its understandable that you'd disapprove of your friends smoking.

The fact that them choosing to smoke makes you feel like you can't be friends with them is ridiculous, in my opinion. Are you saying that if someone has a minor vice that you disagree with but they enjoy, they have to stop it because it upsets you? You might call them selfish for choosing to continue their habit, but its equally as selfish to threaten someone with your friendship just because they choose to indulge in this vice once in awhile.

Everyone is their own person. Just because they choose to disagree with you doesn't mean that they don't respect you or don't care about your opinion. It means they heard what you had to say, but still chose to enjoy themselves.

You say you drink like a fish - alcohol kills tons of people every year. Can you tell me that if one of your friends had parents/relatives/close friends die due to alcohol abuse and they asked you to stop drinking outright that you'd cut it out completely?

-Amahl

The Ageless Fool said...

People choosing to smoke doesn't bother me. It's telling me that they think it's 'dumb' and 'uncool' and then going around and doing it anyways that makes me think, "Wow, good job with the hypocrisy there."

And the issue is, I do take care with my alcohol. If I knew someone that had been killed by a drunk driver, I wouldn't drive drunk. If I knew someone who died from over-drinking, I'd lessen up my alcohol intake in respect. I wouldn't quit completely - it was abuse that killed them, not casual drinking. But smoking isn't in any way comparable, because you're not just affecting yourself by smoking - you let off secondhand, which is admittedly what killed most of the people I knew.

I can't respect people who knowingly upset me - it's not like they didn't know and did it, or like they couldn't control it. It's the fact that they knew it would upset me, and did it anyways, and then tried to justify it. I won't ever understand, but I don't have to.