What am I doing?

Inner peace feels like cherries in spring and the leaves in August. It's like scratching an itch. Like finding a perfect puddle of water.

20080222

This wasn't how it was supposed to be.

I sat down on the grey carpet. There was a round stain from the coffee mug that had sat there for days. It would probably never come out.

He was sleeping, but that was okay. He slept a lot lately, and I reached out to run my fingers over his stomach, like I used to when I was a kid. But instead of the normal shirt and jeans, the soft fabric of a hospital gown met my fingers. It was cold, and I wondered why they would make something so important so fragile.

The only noise through the silence was a short beeping from the corner of the room, monitoring his vital signs. The steady pulse of the machine resonated with my heartbeat, and at times I felt as if the two were one - my own pulse keeping him tied down to this world.

The rosary in my other hand felt as cold as ice. I used to think it was strange that people would only turn to God when they needed a crutch. I eventually realized that people turn away from God because they can't bear to trust in anyone but themselves.

Even though it was a bright day outside, we kept the shades down. The darkness in the room was almost like a sound, a scream of silence that deafened the mind. We hid the light, because being blind to it was better than being taunted by it. The true horror wasn't in the darkness - it was seeing the light but not being able to feel it.

I wondered how it would feel like to be trapped in bed; staring up at the blank ceiling all day, trying to discern patterns in the chipped paint. When faced with a blank slate, the mind tends to wander - but the end result may not always be what we expect.

My fingers found his hand and held it gently. He was so fragile, but he wasn't supposed to be.

No comments: